News Feed

Coordinator
Feb 23, 2009 at 3:46 PM
Edited Feb 23, 2009 at 3:49 PM
The list has grown quite long, and I have just reformatted it entirely as well!  I imagine that it's just as hard to keep track of changes to that front page as a "consumer" as it is to wade through the page to actually make the changes and keep on top of it.  In order to make keeping track of those changes a little easier for you - at least easier than requiring you to visit the page and manually review it every once in a while, or subscribing to the RSS feed for the main page - I'll be posting to this thread.  Any significant non-formatting change to the front page will be accompanied by a short post here.  So change your RSS subscriptions from the front page to this thread, and you're covered.  Any new components the community passes on to me will get announced here - enjoy!

Please do not post to this thread.  If you have information on errors on the front page, or want to inform the project of components that should be listed, please contact one of the project coordinators directly, or create a new discussion.
Coordinator
Feb 23, 2009 at 3:54 PM
MelissaData (http://www.melissadata.com) has 14 SSIS transforms available for data profiling, cleansing, and name and address handling.
Coordinator
Mar 3, 2009 at 7:15 PM
I've added a new section for "Tools".  Inaugural tools are BIDSHelper, DTLoggedExec, and MetaShare.  Please contact us with any other useful SSIS related tools.
Coordinator
Mar 4, 2009 at 4:50 PM
Through a post at the MSDN forums, I've found an Oracle Bulk Load destination from Persistent Systems (commercial).
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2009 at 4:30 PM
Edited Mar 12, 2009 at 5:27 PM
Since I'd decided to include tools on the site, I hadn't done a CodePlex search for "ssis" - I did that today and corrected huge oversights in that arena.  Four new tools, a Connection Manager, and a Data Flow Source are new to the project listings:

Tools
* Package Manager
* MDDE
* Non Admin Access Tool
* ssisUnit

Connection Managers
* Microsoft CRM

Data Flow Sources
* SSIS Image Source
Coordinator
Mar 20, 2009 at 4:14 PM
Edited Mar 20, 2009 at 4:31 PM
Another oversight correction - I knew about these for a while: Microsoft has bought high-performance Connection Managers for Oracle and Teradata from Attunity, and has chosen to provide them FREE to the SSIS community. There's also a connector for SAP BI (Dreamweaver) in the SQL 2008 Feature Pack.
Coordinator
Mar 26, 2009 at 9:52 PM
Good news today!  Remi Pestre has released "Error Output Description" - a transform that converts the "ErrorColumn" and "ErrorCode" of the error outputs in a data flow to information you can actually understand.  I have yet to try it out - I'm having some difficulty using the binary, and the source isn't quite working for me yet - but I'll be checking this out ASAP.
Coordinator
May 6, 2009 at 4:21 PM
One new update: The fine gents at Konesans/SQLIS.com have released a new Source - the Trace File Source.  It permits reading SQL 2005 and 2008 profiler traces into the SSIS pipeline.  Sounds pretty useful...
Coordinator
Jul 19, 2009 at 4:27 PM

I've release a Pause Task that makes the Control Flow wait (like T-SQL DELAY or .Net Thread.Sleep).

I'm also expecting more information from MelissaData about their tasks and components - hopefully they can add more information to their listing, and make it even more useful!

Coordinator
Aug 4, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Tillmann Eitelberg has just published a new Task on CodePlex - the ReportGenerator Task.  It takes in a Recordset object and generates a PDF or Excel report from it.

Coordinator
Aug 6, 2009 at 11:15 PM

I've just released a new Task on CodePlex - the File Properties Task.  Much like a similar Task available from Pragmatic Works, this Task allows you to collect the date/time and attribute properties of a file into SSIS variables.  Additionally, it can actively check for read and write locks on a file, and optionally change the file's date/time and attribute properties.

Coordinator
Aug 21, 2009 at 3:58 PM

We've got a new Data Flow component on CodePlex made by Keith Martin - the Multiple Hash component.  It takes multiple columns and generates MD5 and SHA1 hash values for them - for easier row comparison operations, for example.

Coordinator
Aug 29, 2009 at 5:37 PM

I just happened to stumble across an Active Directory source (over three years old!)  I'm sure there are people out there looking for this...

Coordinator
Sep 4, 2009 at 4:38 PM

I finally got around to adding some information that Melissa Data sent me on their transforms - lots of good looking ones in that list for profiling, cleansing, and address handling.

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2009 at 5:20 AM

Pragmatic Works has just released a set of Tasks and Components under the name of "Task Factory".  Included is a Secure FTP Task, a Compression Task, a File Properties Task, a Data Validation Component, and an Upsert Destination.

Coordinator
Oct 2, 2009 at 12:12 AM

This one was bugging me for a while, so I banged it out to stop having to use Scripts everywhere - the Send HTML Email Task.  Straightforward - plus features to specify a reply-to (since these are likely to be automated emails), attach multiple files, specify multiple tos, ccs and bccs.  Enjoy!

Coordinator
Oct 10, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Added two more tools to the toolbox: SSIS Package Explorer (replaces Solution Explorer with more functionality), and the SSIS Log Analyzer (analyzes SSIS logs for problems).

Coordinator
Oct 14, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Just found the Delimited File Source - not to be confused with the existing Delimited File Reader Source that's part of the Microsoft samples.

Coordinator
Oct 23, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Just added a new Task from Steve Novoselac - Execute SQL Job And Wait - that starts off a SQL Server Agent job, then waits for the job to complete.

Coordinator
Nov 3, 2009 at 1:12 AM

CozyRoc has just released a new version of their suite, including the following new items: a SalesForce Connection Manager, SCP Task, Script Component Plus, Address Parse transform, ODBC Destination, Lookup Plus transform, SalesForce Source, and SalesForce Destination.

Coordinator
Nov 20, 2009 at 8:59 PM

Found out through Duane Douglas' automated Twitter 'bot about an SSIS package "search" tool from Gerasus Software - now listed under the Tools.  It searches DTS and SSIS packages - wherever they reside - for table, column, and property names.

Coordinator
Feb 3, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I have to make time to review Pragmatic Works' new products - TaskFactory and BIxPress.  Both offer free community editions, containing a great deal of useful extensions for SSIS.  Hope to get around to that soon...

In the meantime, I've updated some of my projects on CodePlex recently - the Kimball Method SCD, the File Properties Task, and the Send HTML Mail Task.  I've also added a (rough) component I use frequently in conjunction with the Send HTML Mail Task - it's called the HTML Table Destination.  If you send execution results of your packages via email, you should check those two custom objects out...

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM

EASkills Consulting just posted some "ads" on the MSDN forums for an SFTP capable task that I've now added to the directory.  They do need to fix their download page though - doesn't appear to be working for me.

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2010 at 5:20 AM

Tillmann Eitelberg has just published another CodePlex project for SSIS that imports ESRI Shapefiles, and their associated attribute files.

Coordinator
Jun 8, 2010 at 1:21 AM

Two different companies just released a large number of components (some in "beta" state) - but both have at least a few items just about anyone would find interesting...

DatenFabrik has five new components: a currency converter, duplicate deleter, email validation, gender validation, and null handler - see their page here: http://ssisctc.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=DatenFabrik&referringTitle=Home.

CozyRoc has 15 new objects related to Dynamics CRM, Excel, SharePoint, and Mail (SMTP, IMAP, POP3) - see their page here: http://ssisctc.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=CozyRoc&referringTitle=Home.

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2010 at 10:25 PM
SQL Server MVP Darren Green has recently published a cool new tool for SSIS - an expression editor and tester - here on CodePlex. It can be used as a standalone app, or integrated into custom objects: http://expressioneditor.codeplex.com/
Coordinator
Jul 7, 2010 at 3:15 PM

I've just published a new transform - the Replacing Data Conversion.  Useful for when you need to convert a whole pile of columns from one data type to another, and get frustrated by how many clicks it usually takes.

Coordinator
Aug 19, 2010 at 9:20 PM

James Beresford - the BI Monkey - has just published an SSIS ETL framework on CodePlex that provides a management and reporting harness for executing your SSIS packages.

Coordinator
Dec 21, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Nortwestern University has contributed two transforms they use in their Enterprise Data Warehouse ETL processes to CodePlex - and we now have those listed here.  RegExtractor is a component that detects matches to regular expressions, and outputs the match content to new columns in the data flow.  Aggregate Text performs a "group by" on columns you identify, and concatenates the text contained in another column - effective for stitching together comments or other long text data that is spread across several rows in your OLTP system.

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2011 at 10:51 PM

My word, these companies certainly fly under the radar!  I've been contacted by BlueHub software, a company that offers over 50 objects for SSIS.  Some of them are very "niche" (like HL7 support) but others seem to be very broadly applicable (like an FTP File Enumerator).  I suggest you look over their page here on the site to see if their vast selection would do you any good.

And as always - if anyone encounters another "stealth" provider of SSIS extensions, please do let me know about them.  This site gets 10,000 page views a month, so you'd be helping out your fellow ETL devs a lot!

Coordinator
May 20, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Two new components today:

Microsoft released a Balanced Data Distributor component that could help you increase performance of your more weighty data flows.  It divides rows among multiple outputs, allowing multiple copies of downstream components to work on them in parallel.  This component operates differently than a Conditional Split - even a Split with conditions intended to evenly divide the outputs - and will provide better parallelism.

Tillman Eitelberg's Google Analytics Source is now available on CodePlex as well.  If you're interested in reading and processing your analytics data, it's worth a look.